24 February 2005

Clementine Skys and Fasting

0 comments
 
Since noon the snow has continued to pour from the sky: now glowing a shade of clementine which is strange for it being night now. Strange but wonderful. I wish I could drink it with snow flakes peppered on top and twinkling throughout. What flavor it would have! Instead I have boiled some water mixed with... water to drink.

Today Luke Foley and I started a monthly practice of a one day water only fast dedicating the day to prayer, intentional acts of worship, discerning God's will for us personally, and seeking His heart. The 21st is to be our normal day unless we forget, again.

Fasting, most often in relationship to food, is something that was frequently preached and partaken of in the church I grew up and served in. In high school I remember sharing lunch period with a friend/fellow youth leader who would remind me of the fast that day as my mouth was full of hot dog. There were other times that we convinced each other to eat so we might perform better on tests or be better musicians that night. We obviously were missing the point of our exercise. Sacrifice without filling the void for the short term is an important step into discipline but long term it brings death to that area. In this fasting I was attempting something Biblical but it set on my personal spiritual foundation which was sadly wanting.

I'm not sure if "to get" or "to hear" should always be the goal with fasting, in fact I am sure of it. That is something I have seen widespread in the church from prayer, to worship songs, and especially when it comes to any kind of physical sacrifice which fasting is. Having God's divine spirit invade our space seems about right but what does that mean? I guess it comes down to that as humans we have expectations for things which because of ambition we often can't help. So that is ok. We should tell our Father what we seek and then let go of it so that we might commune with Him. Let Him surprise us. Let He be the one that "frames" our set apart time together. I think God will blessed in this.

In all the things that we do, we do if for no other reason:
"1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, his love endures forever. 2 Let Israel say: ' His love endures forever.' 3 Let the house of Aaron say: 'His love endures forever.' 4 Let those who fear the Lord say: 'His love endures forever.' " Psalms 118:1-4 (NIV)

Water boiled tastes different than water cold. Go figure. Drink up.

No comments:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff